Sunday, February 20, 2005

How a Curmudgeon Builds a Snowman

We got about 4 or 5 inches of snow today. Nice heavy, wet snow. Time to build a snowman. But not some wimpy little thing the kids make, no sir. The ol' curmudgeon doesn't do things that way. I grew up when it was colder than it is now, and we got more snow than we do now, and the snow was deeper than it is now. And yes, I did have to walk to school in it; thanks for asking.

So of course I have to build a big snowman, just like we used to do when I was a kid. This first picture shows my son standing in front of it. He's standing just inches in front, and there has been no manipulation of the photo. He's just about 11, and oh, I don't know... 4 foot... 5 foot... something like that --- how should I know, why would a curmudgeon keep track of that.



Anyway, I got my tape measure; and using a level on the crown for accuracy, I measured from the top to the ground. 7 foot 8 inches he is. That's right, you read that correctly; taller than most NBA players even. And he's wearing a crown because he's the king. And he's smoking a cigar because he's politically incorrect, just like me.



Now just don't go spreading any rumors that I sometimes like to have fun. I'm just trying to show the kids the proper way to make a snowman, that's all.

No comments: